Manager Health Safety
Posted on: June 1, 2021
At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer
world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product
and service solutions around the globe.
The Manager Health Safety & Environment is responsible for
developing and providing support for the implementation of Health,
Safety and Environment management systems and programs for the Life
Sciences division of STERIS. This Division includes service teams,
office teams and manufacturing facilities internationally. This
position will drive and lead sustainability for health, safety and
environment initiatives for our Customers, employees and the
surrounding communities. The individual will be an integral team
member of the business unit HSE team and STERIS business groups, to
implement best practices for STERIS employees. The path forward
consistently requires the attainment and sustainment of World Class
Safety Excellence for all employees at STERIS.
- Independently develop and implement the World Class Safety
System process throughout the assigned business group(s)
- Provides program leadership, support and guidance to each
designated facility and/or field-based teams to ensure success in
achieving World Class Safety
- Help the business in identifying gaps in the existing health,
safety and environment system, and outline methodology to eliminate
- Conduct audits, perform evaluations and create/utilize HSE
- Be actively involved in each businesses process for the
- Ensure all Health, Safety & Environment training for all
employees is compliant to regulations / laws at the time.
- Provide templates and direction for completion of each element
of safety and health compliance
- Develop timelines and ownership of each element and sub-element
- Assist with completion of each element/policy/procedure
- Provide audit preparedness assistance
- Provide support and direction for environmental policies,
procedures and laws
- Be available to each site or organization throughout the entire
- Work with each business to sustain occupational safety and
- Provide support and guidance to each business group throughout
their goal of achieving World Class Safety Excellence
- Define, document, and implement health, safety and environment
system components to address needs in each business
- Develop safety and health polices, programs and procedures for
the business based on the gap assessments.
- Ensure incident investigations are performed in a timely and
- Gather and analyze workplace safety measures to support
reporting at the business unit and corporate level.
- Work closely with the HSE Corporate Team to identify additional
initiatives to be undertaken by Corporate team
- Remain current on health, safety and environmental
- Evaluate equipment, physical facilities, operation techniques,
- Establish requirements for special monitoring procedures and
personnel exposure scenarios
- Develop and implement specific training for new procedures and
- Prepare and implement communications based upon existing, new,
and/or revisions to existing occupational safety regulations of the
country(s) in which the businesses operate.
- Review, coordinate and assist with creation, modification, or
closing of facilities via enforcing all procedures or
- Interact to share best practices with internal SMEs for
handling workers comp. cases, EHS training, recordkeeping,
performing accident investigations, etc.
- Review incident statistics and makes recommendations for
- Conduct periodic inspections of plant machinery, equipment, and
working conditions to ensure conformance to appropriate safety,
sanitary, and regulatory standards.
- Review proposed Capital Requests and approve them from a
- Work closely with Engineering and Maintenance departments
ensuring safety/environmental compliance of projects and
- Maintain and implement industrial hygiene programs. Maintain
and calibrate industrial hygiene testing equipment. Coordinate and
conduct periodic industrial hygiene monitoring of noise, air
quality, and other IH stressors as identified.
- Use Lean methodology to drive improvements in Environmental and
- Engineer solutions to occupational exposures. Drive continuous
improvement and deliver strong results from behavioral based
- Coordinate with the Corporate HSE Senior Manager, regarding the
start and coordination of each facilitys Voluntary Protection
Program, if applicable to the business
- Provide Health, Safety & Environment assistance for newly
- Train and educate the businesss central safety committee
- Evaluate and provide input to the business regarding contractor
and vendor safety
- Manage relationships between executive management, loss
prevention functions and regulatory authorities (e.g., national,
state and local authorities having jurisdiction)
- Develop and ensure implementation of emergency control
- Develop and ensure delivery of safety training
- Brief management team members on various programs and
- Be a secondary resource whenever needed, throughout the
environmental compliance function at STERIS, to include helping
- Prepare and implement communications based upon existing, new
and/or revisions to existing environmental regulations of the
country(s) in which the businesses operate.
- Coordinate environmental compliance tasks
- Partner with facility leadership to create, implement and
measure progress of sustainability initiatives to reduce waste to
landfill, and carbon footprint.
- Bachelors Degree plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant
experience required. In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 15 years of
relevant experience is required.
- Ability to travel up to 35%
- Experience with a mobile workforce preferred.
- Knowledge of Commercial Motor Vehicle accident and injury
prevention principles & techniques, DOT and OSHA regulatory
- Experience with OSHA VPP or similarly structured safety
- Process Safety Management experience
- Knowledge in ergonomic assessment
- Experience with project management
- Experience in performing industrial hygiene surveys with little
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently.
- High level of professionalism.
- Strong leadership, managerial, facilitation, training, and
- Strong project/problem resolution skills.
- Good verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Excellent Customer service skills (both internal and
- Understanding of applicable computer systems, such as Microsoft
Office, SharePoint, databases, and function specific software.
STERIS is a $3B, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization with
approximately 12,000 associates worldwide and operates in more than
If you need assistance completing the application process,
please call 1 (440) 392.7047. This contact information is for
accommodation inquiries only and cannot be used to check
STERIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to
equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action
programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained,
transferred and promoted in all job groups regardless of race,
color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship
status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy,
childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation,
gender identity, genetic information, and any other category
protected by federal, state or local law. We are not only committed
to this policy by our status as a federal government contractor,
but also we are strongly bound by the principle of equal employment
The full affirmative action program, absent the data metrics
required by 60-741.44(k), shall be available to all employees and
applicants for employment for inspection upon request. The program
may be obtained at your locations HR Office during normal business
Keywords: Steris, Mentor , Manager Health Safety, Other , Mentor, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!